Thursday, November 27, 2008

Legion of Super-Heroes #48 Review

Countdown:

I haven't been updating much, have I? I've got an entry of The Legionnaires ready to go as soon as I can find time to scan a couple of images, and I've been working on another couple of things, but it's true that I've largely been preoccupied with other stuff. Oh well; starting pretty soon I won't have to do reviews regularly anymore.

Five Legion comics left.

What Happened That You Have to Know About:

A delegation from Planet Surprise is on Earth, making first contact with the United Planets. The Surprisean delegates are equipped with the same data rippers that the destroyers had, and Brainiac 5 concludes that the Surpriseans are trying to digitize the universe by using the data rippers to copy it all to some kind of informational dimension, a process which removes the souls of living things, and that the Surpriseans are really just projections into this universe of their real selves in this informational dimension. The Surpriseans conclude their tour of Metropolis by assassinating the Secretary of Diplomacy of the United Planets. Meanwhile, the Legion holds tryouts for new members.

Review:

Every time we see Sun Boy, he's got a new costume. I like this one better than the last one, and Manapul does a nice job with it, but my favourite look for him is still Kitson's first design. Oh, and Levitz-era Sun Boy had a classic look.

My favourite part of this issue was the discussion about Sun Boy and Terror Firma and Orando. It's about time somebody said this stuff, and Shooter managed to tie off the loose ends in a fairly reasonable way.

The nature of the Surpriseans is an interesting idea. There was some speculation on Legion World that this informational dimension they come from was going to provide the key to restoring Dream Girl to normal life. Which, you know, that'd be nice. I guess. Would she get her personality back too?

This was one of those issues where the stuff that happened was perfectly fine, but doesn't add up to a story. The only real action was in the tryouts, and that was just some light sparring. The Legion didn't interact with the Surpriseans at all. So I guess we're looking at the last two issues to deal with all of this. And there's also all this stuff with Projectra going on.

I don't know. There's also all this stuff about Projectra being the 'one evil'. Could the destroyers and Planet Surprise be manifestations of her power in some way, reaching back through time to, uh, Shooter and Manapul's first issue? It'd make it easier to wrap things up, and there's a plausibility in having this informational stuff be what her illusions look like in a science lab. There's also some kind of thing about how a Legionnaire's going to die, and after the events of this issue, I'm betting on Timber Wolf. His devotion to Jeckie shows up in his dialogue and his vote against Sun Boy for reinstatement... and I think he's the price she's going to have to pay.

As for the tryouts. I have read numerous Legion tryout scenes, and this is another one. I believe that I don't need any more of them. Seriously. At what point is enough enough? By now it's more of a ritual than anything else.

Membership Notes:

Okay, now Sun Boy's a Legionnaire again. I think this is the third time he's rejoined the team, but presumably this one will stick. For the three issues that are left, anyway. Likewise, Gazelle: she's a Legionnaire now, but won't have long to enjoy it. After all, neither of them were present in Final Crisis: Legion of 3 Worlds #2 (for whatever that's worth). Oh, well.

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I haven't read this far in yet. Still, I've got to say that I've just started on the Supergirl/Legion trades, and you're absolutely right in your criticism of how they treated Dream Girl after her "death." I can live with them not wanting to pair her with Thom just because [old person mode: ]that's how it was in my day,[/old person mode] but does she have to be "just a bit of skirt ?" Arrggh.

[sulks] Given that I feel this way and haven't even gotten to any of Shooter's stuff yet, that's got to be a bad sign. >:

-- cleome45

4:04 PM  
Blogger Matthew E said...

I don't want to imply that Shooter's run is all bad, or even kinda bad. Overall I like it. He puts a lot of interesting stuff in there, and Manapul's art is neat. But there are weaknesses too. And it's a shame about Dream Girl, because she started off as the best character in the threeboot.

9:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

D'oh ! Not trying to pick on Shooter in particular, honest. Just trying to be forewarned/forearmed-- or whatever you'd call it...

Speaking of people/things from Pittsburgh, I'm having a tough time adjusting to what a complete jaggoff Brainiac 5 is in the current run. I used to expect him wringing his teammates' necks and lopping off their limbs when he was going crazy, but not on an average workday. I have the impression so far that Dreamy alive might have helped him to be less of a jaggoff, but that Dreamy not-quite-alive only serves as his excuse to be more of one.

Also, the 'blade runner' hair doesn't do it for me.

Shallowly yours,

-- cleome45

2:38 PM  
Blogger Matthew E said...

I know what you mean. I don't have too much of a problem with the way Waid wrote Brainy, but, to me, Bedard and Shooter each made some missteps with him.

2:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On the plus side, so far I'm loving just about every scene Shady and/or Ayla are involved in. Despite the bleeping bare midriffs all over the place.

-- cleome45

1:31 PM  
Blogger Matthew E said...

Ayla's been portrayed well throughout the threeboot. Shady I haven't seen quite enough of.

3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What strikes me most about Waid's Ayla is that she's at about the halfway point between the touchy-feely girl who used to hang onto Timberwolf back in the day-- and the abrasive-as-all-get-out girl who came back from having to fight her own psycho brother to the almost-death. I just like the balance.

Still haven't read the whole arc, of course. Plus the library keeps turning up the volumes out of order, but whatchoo' gonna' do... ?

-- cleome45

3:44 PM  
Blogger Matthew E said...

No, I see her as quite different from that. Threeboot Ayla is warm and affectionate in a way that we haven't seen before. Original Ayla was formidable, sometimes even chilly, and only a few people could get past that. As for reboot Ayla, I'm trying to remember her... kind of impulsive, hotheaded, wasn't she? I can't call her to mind very well.

4:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, see I think when I started reading, it was partway through "Great Darkness," when she was having a perfectly understandable meltdown about all the freaked-out stuff that was happening around her. Thanks to the wonder of flea markets (do those things still exist ?) I caught up with the earlier Levitz stuff later-- when she was bummed out about whatever TW & SG were up to on the asteroid.

(If that makes sense... :/ )

-- cleome45

1:58 PM  
Blogger Matthew E said...

Rereading what I wrote about original-recipe Ayla just there... I made her sound like she was nothing but formidable-and-chilly. Which she wasn't; that was only a small part of her. But it's not a part of threeboot Ayla at all.

2:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I dunno'. She kept Ultra Boy from punching out her brother when Mekt first snatched them all up. In my book, that's pretty nervy.

Thing is, zero-grav is never going to look as cool on paper as lightning bolts;But it's still an incredibly butt-kicking power when the writer(s) use(s) it that way.

:)

-- cleome45

2:19 PM  
Blogger Matthew E said...

Sure, she's nervy. They're all nervy; it's one of the requirements for being a superhero. But she's not personally scary the way original Ayla could be sometimes.

2:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm. I draw on vast expanses of courage in order to attend social events with siblings. Must be a middle-child thing.

Also, is it just me or is Waid's Ultra Boy almost as much of a jaggoff as B5 ? Yeesh. I didn't like Dream Boy's getup either, but threatening to punch him out seemed a bit extreme.

-- cleome45

6:25 PM  
Blogger Matthew E said...

Uh... he has his moments. I don't see him as a jerk, exactly. I think he's as nice a guy as he can be and still be himself, if that makes any sense.

7:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure what the point is of the Gazelle character. Doesn't she pretty much have the exact same powers as Timber Wolf? Granted, the *reason* behind her powers is different, but they manifest pretty similarly.

10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home