Thursday, January 22, 2009

Trivia

I just had the idea to do this.

Following is a list of twelve fictional boats or ships. The trick is, identify the source material in which it appeared--book, movie, TV show. Answer in the comments. As far as the use of search engines to find the answers is concerned, I believe that we're all comfortable within the confines of the honour system.

1. Goblin
2. Dulcibella
3. Jammy Dodger
4. Hispaniola
5. Arabella
6. Starfare's Gem
7. Disco Volante
8. La Paloma
9. Busted Flush
10. Calico
11. Persephone
12. Sleuth

Good luck! Pass this along to your friends if you know anyone who might like it.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

10. Calico - from the Godzilla Hannah-Barbera Cartoon?
Fun.

8:58 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hispaniola - Treasure Island
Disco Volante - Thunderball

10:01 AM  
Blogger Dr. Michael J. MacArthur said...

9 - Busted Flush - The boat won in a poker game by Travis McGee in the excellent series of detective novels by John D. McDonald.

11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will be amused if somebody gets Persephone, who is outside that certain group we know of.

The Sleuth is the Hardy Boys' boat.

Good idea for a game!

5:46 PM  
Blogger Matthew E said...

Obviously I won't respond to any answers for a while...

plok: No, you're right. The Persephone is for insiders. But there are a lot of insiders!

10:13 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Great game.

I got the Hispaniola from Treasure Island (when I was a kid I made my dad tell me that story every night for at least a year). The Sleuth belonged to Frank and Joe Hardy (I seem to recall their friend Tony owned The Napoli).

The best, though, is the Persephone, from that old Sunday night classic: The Beachcombers!

10:53 PM  
Blogger Matthew E said...

Without commenting on the rightness or wrongness of your answers, I will note that you are in fact a member of the insider group that plok and I mentioned (the group is "Canadians").

I can confirm that Tony Prito's boat was the Napoli. Also, Biff Hooper's boat was the Envoy.

10:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, why the heck is it called the Envoy?

7:35 PM  
Blogger Matthew E said...

Well, one of the dictionary meanings for 'envoy' is 'messenger', which is somewhat apt as a boat name. Not exactly a cool name, but then, the Hardy Boys were invented before cool was.

8:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home