Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Note to DC: I Will Write You a Cheque for These Comics Right Now

I haven't posted much on here recently, have I? Two reasons for that. First, there aren't any Legion comics to review. Second, I don't have access to my scanner these days and so can't properly do a The Legionnaires feature. I do have a bunch of stuff kind of half-written, and eventually I'll get it all completed.

One thing I was thinking about was, what kind of Legion stories would I like to read? And I came up with a bunch of ideas, but they all had something in common: they all had to do with the Five Years Later Legion. For instance:

- a three-issue miniseries about Chuck Taine and Tenzil Kem. They've gone back in time to the 1930s to stop Benn Pares from stealing the Hope Diamond, on exhibit in Miami Beach. Unfortunately, they're in New York City with no money, so they have to make their way, as hoboes, down the Eastern Seaboard in the middle of the Depression. Meanwhile, in Miami Beach, their wives, Luornu and Eve, who know nothing of the mission, are being romanced by millionaire playboys Lee Travis and Wesley Dodd.

- an ongoing series that picks up right after End of an Era. All the Legionnaires who disappeared in the White Event, or whatever it is, reappear simultaneously on Talus, all their proper ages. The SW6ers are gone (except Catspaw, Computo, Dragonmage and Kid Quantum), but their adult counterparts remember their SW6 experiences. They all look at each other and say, "Huh. That was weird," and, on page 2, begin their investigation of the theft of the Diama system's sun.

- an ongoing series about some manner of merged Legion produced by Final Crisis: Legion of 3 Worlds. This shouldn't be the first story in the series; maybe the fifth or tenth or something. Whenever it is, the Legionnaires have to journey through time and dimension to prevent the destruction of the 5YL Earth. This ends with the integration of the 5YL Earth into the megaverse that is the result of FC:L3W, and the expansion of the roster of the team.

- Christmas Day, 1959, Gila Flats. Jon Osterman has been real again for three days now. He is pondering his situation and the government is busy formulating big plans for him. Then a mysterious sphere materializes before him, and three people step out: Rokk Krinn, Reep Daggle, and Laurel Gand, all in plainclothes. They tell him what an inspiration he's been, and invite him to come to the future and check out their little organization...

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Murray said...

I love the idea of a Chuck and Tenzil mini set in the thirties. The bwah ha ha version of Tenzil has never really been my favourite, but pairing him with Bouncing Boy and throwing in their wives sounds like fun... especially with the JSA connection.

Also like the idea of finding a way to merge the five year gap legion into the mix of the Legions. Love it or hate it, the five year gap Legion deserves to have a spot beside the other Legions just as much as any of the other eras.

Murray

5:43 PM  
Blogger Matthew E said...

Thanks. I'm not sure how I thought of it, but now that I have, it keeps coming back to me.

9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Matthew, I'm Rob, a.k.a. Mediocre Boy from Legion World. I love the post 5-year gap and post Legion of 3 Worlds story ideas. And even the 1930s Paris one seems as if it would be highly entertaining.

11:22 PM  
Blogger Matthew E said...

Thanks. I've been trying to figure out who would be the best possible artist for the 1930s story. Ionicus? Giffen? Koford? Ralph Barton? I can't quite think of anything that fits perfectly.

11:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooh, i would love an ongoing series that comes after End of an Era. there was just so much in the 5YL (in terms of content and style) that i feel could be the material for more great stories. i'm hoping the recent film Watchmen turns more readers onto post-super-hero type narratives, like those we see in the 5YL era.

If not, well, at some point, it will have to be fan fiction project.

12:52 AM  
Blogger Matthew E said...

I don't want to imply that I don't understand the objections of all the people who couldn't stick the 5YL Legion at any price. I do. I didn't *like* it that Blok died or Shvaughn turned out to be Sean or Garth was Proty or maybe Gim and Luornu cheated on Yera and Chuck. I hated it. But man, did I care when I was reading it. DC wishes I cared about any of their current comics that much.

6:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, swell.

Now I'm stuck with the vision in my head where they all dress like Dr. Manhattan, or rather, underdress like Dr. Manhattan. On the plus side, all the poor hetero boys still traumatized by Cosmic Boy's Grell costume will really have something to whine about when this one sees print. Also, I'm guessing that even in 3009, broadcasters will appreciate the superpower of being able to redo your own skin tone on demand.

I had a chance to scoop up a couple of 5YG comics for two bucks each U.S. yesterday, but I had to pass. I was out of vodka.

Next time for sure, though.

-- cleome45

1:45 PM  
Blogger Matthew E said...

Which ones were they?

2:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not sure of the numbers. Also this was one of those stores where it's not dark or redolent with the smell of old socks and they're actually nice to you even if you don't buy anything. Decided against opening the bags to skim unless I was sure that I could afford something.

Recommendations of particular issues are always welcome. I'll stick the numbers on the refrigerator in case of random computer crashes eating bookmarks. ;)

-- cleome45

2:39 PM  
Blogger Matthew E said...

I'll see what I can come up with.

2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home