Tuesday, April 14, 2009

'Twon't Do

I'll come up with a real post one of these days, but in the meantime:

One of my intrepid correspondents recently put in some kind of request to subscribe to whatever I had to say on Twitter. There was no mechanism in the request for me to respond to it, so I'll respond here.

I don't really see myself as a Twitter kind of guy.

With Twitter you can only communicate a little bit at a time. Anything I have to say that boils down to that few characters that easily is not something I want to bother you with. For the most part, the stuff I want to put up on the internet is stuff that I want to sink my teeth into and develop at length.

Plus, it continues to be my belief that there's nothing interesting about the minutiae of my life.

I mean, yes, I like it... but why should you care?

So no Twitter.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Twitter is a passing fad anyway. I don't want to or need to constantly keep up with other people's lives one or two sentences at a time like that. And I really don't see why anyone else does.

And I'm like you, I can't fit my thoughts into such short messages. They require much more elaboration, kind of like this comment.

9:28 PM  
Blogger Christian Zamora said...

Synthesis is good. Twitter is not synthesis, is self-stalking. I really hope this is a trend that will fade soon enough.

1:27 AM  
Blogger Meerkatdon said...

Some bloggers use Twitter to announce new postings (for example, Mike at The Legion Omnicom does this, so when he posts his Twitters followers get an announcement that there's a new post, along with a link). It's similar to an RSS feed, only on Twitter.

I think that's what your correspondent was asking about. Certainly you couldn't boil down one of your usually-excellent blog posts into a 140-character message.

I am with your correspondent in encouraging you to post more...however you choose to announce it (or not). I always enjoy your posts.

11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[via some stand-up comic whose name I've forgotten]

Twitter already existed anyway. Back in my youth, we called it "The Note Pad."

Sort of like we had our own iTunes, and it was called "Radio."

[scouts around for Geritol and walking cane]

-- cleome45

12:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home